Thursday, March 29, 2012
WHEN THE MELTIES MELT AWAY AND A RAY OF LIGHT SHINES -PCICU Day 8
Joshua sure misses his sister and playmate. They are stuck like glue at home.
In spite of the craziness and all the melties yesterday, Hua Hua recovered quite well. Thanks to your prayers and the mercy of our Lord.
As of last night the Dr starting talking... extubate. Yes, I said it, EXTUBATE! He said she recover from trying moments well and her numbers continue to look good.
Right now her Oxygen Saturation level in her blood is at 94, which is great and if she continues to hold Saturation in the 90's, along with healthy pressure they have made a plan to extubate. Their goal is: tomorrow noon! Yes, seriously, she may be coming off the ventilator tomorrow!
She will have to be successful to meet these goals, and stay off too.
PLEASE PRAY because there are a lot of factors that have to be successful for the extubation and this is stressful to her body:
1) She is off Nitric Oxide completely as of this AM!
2) Her Oxygen assistance in the ventilator machine is giving her 80%, they will wean it by 10s every 4 hours starting now.
3) Her Oxygen BPM (breaths per minute) assistance with the ventilator is 20. She will be weaned down by 2 every 4 hours until they get to 10 so that she will have to breath herself in between and then they will just cut when they are ready.
4) Her sedation and pain medications are heavy and addictive. They will start weaning from several of them, bit by bit starting this afternoon. They make her breathing weak and she depends on the machine to breath, so she has to come down off a few.
5) She needs to have a BM. Sorry to be so frank, but they have been feeding her though a tube and she hasn't had one, and they really like to see one! Who wouldn't!? :)
I will let you know how she is doing tomorrow!
Here are prayers answered from yesterday!:
Her central line was fixed and they started her on a new strong sedative. I'm not sure I am thrilled about more drugs, but she is sleeping and pain free. They have planned her changeover to lighter doses for weaning.
Her fever has been down for over 12 hours. Thank you!
Like I said, she tolerated being taken off the Nitric Oxide, yay!