The Crew

The Crew
Christina, Matthew, Joshua and Katie Grace XiHua

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Orphanage Visit.










Yesterday, (Friday) our guide drove us to Zhongshan City where we visited the orphanage where Xi Hua spent her first 3 years. Upon our arrival we met the Director of the orphanage and he greeted us kindly and we all took a photo. We then went on a tour with Ms. Zhong who runs the orphanage. She is amazing. There are over 400 children who live on the grounds of the orphanage and over 100 more who live in other homes. We we asked to see various children for families waiting, she knew who they were and where they were at that moment.

The orphanage is well funded, clean and well staffed. The staff cares for the children well and they have many children to care for. The children have matching tee shirts, pants, pajamas and shoes and 3 meals a day. It is still clear when you see the children their desire and or lack of much adult interaction. Some were frightened, some clung to us. One little girl, who was blind, felt her way across the room and literally clung to Jacob, saying “I want a mama and baba” in Chinese. We heard her say Mama and Baba and we asked our guide what she said. Our hearts just melted inside. We had to peel her off, precious baby. She was about 4 or 5.

Xi Hua was okay until her favorite nanny came running to hug her, calling her name. She froze and didn’t know what to do and then she began to cry because she didn’t want to stay. She loved the nanny but had made a decision to not stay and thought she was going to have to stay. So I picked her up and she began to calm. She cried again and clung to me when we went into her crib room. She did not want me to drop her off in her crib! When we went tot he cafeteria and she started to help me pass out stickers to all of her friends, she was happy again. She realized she was a part of “the farewell party” and passing out stickers as a way of saying goodbye was great!

We hugged and loved as many little friends as we could.

5 comments:

  1. How sweet that Katie Grace learned that she was there to say goodbye! Thanks again for taking time to take pictures of my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would imagine that brought on a huge amount of fear that you were taking her back and leaving her. Glad she seemed to understand in the end a little bit more. You haven't said if she speaks much english?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The day we visited Zhongshan City CWI will forever be etched in my heart. What a blessing that you were able to visit as well. I recognize many of the nannies and all the rooms you visited. Maylie reacted very much the same way Katie did. She was overwhelmed when the nanny (same one as in your photo) grabbed her out of my arms. I was not expecting that and got her back in my arms asap. Even though the visit was mostly pleasant, and I know it can be hard for the kids, it's so wonderful to be able to go and see where they spent their beginnings. Katie is SO SO precious! Blessings, Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK Annie, how did I miss all of this??? Blogger makes me so mad sometimes! I just did not get any of these posts!!!! UGH! She is PRECIOUS Annie and it looks like things are going really well!! I am just sooooo happy for you all! I have to ask about the little girl who was blind!! Annie, this breaks my heart! Is there anyway to find out who this girl is and if she is listed with the CCCWA? I would so love to advocate for her!!! Please let me know if you think you can find out. Welcome home (a bit late)!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Many hungry children near the boarder of Myanmar and Thailand-click on photo